An apple a day… keeps the doctor at bay. We’ve found that apples not only taste good; they also help promote collagen growth in the skin. Apples:
- Boost your intake of vitamin C, or ascorbic acid. Vitamin C helps you make collagen, a protein found abundantly in your skin. Collagen is a crucial structural component of skin and helps maintain your skin’s waterproof barrier.
- Provide a source of copper, an essential mineral that contributes to healthy skin.
- Copper helps you make melanin, the brown-black pigment that colors your skin. Melanin in your skin protects you from the sun’s ultraviolet rays, so being able to produce melanin provides natural sun protection.
- Contain pectin, which is also important in maintaining and promoting collagen growth in skin.
- Like most fruits and vegetables, the peel of the apple contains the highest amount of pectin; in fact, some research has found the amount of pectin in the peel of an apple may be equal to or even more than the amount in the actual fruit of the apple itself.How about them apples?!