Lasers have come a long way in a short amount of time when talking about acne treatment. There is virtually a specific laser for every need. Often a patient will need to be treated by more than one laser depending on the types of acne or rosacea lesions present. Lasers can be used to treat acne itself:
- to eradicate the pimples themselves
- to treat the consequences of acne
Different types of laser treatments include:
- Dye lasers – used to treat the red lesions (or red remnants of lesions) of acne and for the background redness of rosacea
- Blue light and light with a photosensitizer (photodynamic therapy) – used to treat acne itself
- Fraxel lasers and fillers can be used to lessen acne scars
Check with your dermatologist on what laser treatment might work best for you!